Don Knuth ― Lex Fridman conversation

Don Knuth on programming, algorithms, hard problems and the game of life: Lex Fridman talks to the grand wizard.

This lengthy conversation (2h 21m) is available at YouTube. If you are brave enough to endure, it is worth listening to. The conversation covers a lot of topics, here is a brief timeline:

0:45 ― on how to write better code
1:10 ― on marriage
1:12 ― on kissing!
1:51 ― on TeX, why it was released for free
1:55 ― on intellectual property of algorithms
1:56 ― on Linux
1:57 ― on beautiful typography
2:00 ― on masyu puzzle and its relationship with pi
2:06 ― on productivity
2:10 ― advice to young people
2:14 ― on meaning of life

The first part of the conversion is about his first and second computer programs, algorithms, and computers which might offer a sumptuous meal for those interested in computers. And it can dispel people engaged in abstract thinking, but I would still advise to listen to as it would give you newer insights on how highly technical ideas can be communicated so interestingly.

On the personal front, I am very much indebted to Don for writing one of the greatest software that the world has seen, namely, TeX. It has become the very basis of my existence ever since I got acquainted with it during my thirties as it helped fight with my disaster-ridden motor neuron disease that debilitated me literally, reducing to a wheelchair. I further owe him for the autographed TeXBook (the first volume of his monumental Computers and Typesetting) and picture postcard in return to my wife's small gift delivered in person through Rishi who met him in a TeX Users Group conference (TUG 2019). Small things, but it just made my life much more worth living!